Burnout as an Engineer

I don't know if this is the right place, but how to handle burnout as an engineer?  There are times when I have no motivation or wonder what I am doing actual engineering.  How should I handle this?  Or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

I love how honest you are being with yourself and the community about this. Burnout is real and you're not making a big deal out of nothing. Do you think the issue is more related to simply being an engineer? Or the way in which you are doing engineering (e.g. your specific company and their procedures or practices)? I questioned whether engineering was right for me at one point in my career; no shame in doing that at all. Anyway, let me know whether you think it's fundamental to being an engineer, or specific to your workplace. 

• Like 1

Hi Manandwala, like Aaron mentioned Burnout is a real thing. something that always seems to work for me is to just take a quick break, walk around and clear your mind. I see some of my coworkers doing this and I have tried it, and let me tell you it does make a big difference. walking for about 5-10 minutes is a really good way to stay active and clear your mind.

• Like 2

@Aaron Moncur I think the issue is more the way I am doing engineering at my specific company and their procedures and practices.  I watched a video from the Hacksmith where they were designing a spider bot using front loaders and a lot went wrong but that is what I love about engineering (not if it won't work/break but when).  I sometimes feel stuck because I can't change those practices or if I suggest something new it gets brushed off.  @CarlosR I agree the walks are very helpful they clear my mind and help me refocus.  

• 2 weeks later...

@manandwala  From your comments, you seem to have a mind for continuous organizational improvement, besides being a good engineering contributor.  I've seen in several cases where high-performing individual contributors get promoted into management roles by virtue of their achievements and not necessarily because of their aptitude for organizational improvement or managing people.  On the other hand, it can be difficult for people who have those qualities to actually end up in those leadership roles. 

I share your interest in affecting organizational change, and so have been deliberately seeking roles and assignments with elevated management responsibility.  Perhaps a shift in focus in new areas that leverage your "management potential" could alleviate the sense of burnout?

• Like 2